I-95 Section BSR (I-95/BSR)
This project will rebuild and improve 1.7 miles of I-95 from the bridge over Margaret Street to the bridge over Levick Street, including the Bridge Street Interchange. This project also includes the extension of Delaware Avenue from Buckius Street to Tacony Street.
Under I-95/BSR, PennDOT will completely reconstruct I-95 and its bridges and widen the interstate to four lanes in each direction from Margaret Street to Levick Street, a section of I-95 that runs from just south of the Cottman Avenue (Route 73) through the Bridge Street interchanges.
I-95/BSR project is being developed as four separate phases, or Sections: BS1, BS2, BS3, and BS5. The BS4 Section is part of the Betsy Ross Interchange. Please see the I-95/BRI fact sheet for further information.
I-95/BS1 Section BS1
of the rebuilding of I-95 at the Bridge Street Interchange will reconstruct the northbound and southbound lanes of I-95 from Kennedy Street to Levick Street. This section includes removal of the southbound Bridge Street off-ramp at James Street. A new southbound off-ramp will connect directly to Tacony Street at the Carver Street underpass. Also planned is a new on-ramp from Tacony Street and the Delaware Avenue extension to I-95 northbound in the vicinity of the Arsenal Business Center and the Dietz & Watson facility. When this new ramp is completed the existing I-95 northbound on-ramp from Bridge Street will close. Preliminary Engineering for this section finished in November 2011 and Final Design began in fall 2013, with construction anticipated to start in 2018. I-95/BS1 Details
This phase covers the I-95 reconstruction from Kennedy Street to Levick Street, and replacement of the southbound I-95 off-ramp at the Bridge Street interchange, including work to:
- Reconstruct northbound and southbound I-95 (four lanes in each direction) from Kennedy to Levick streets;
- Relocate the James Street off-ramp further north, connecting it to Tacony Street via a new Carver Street underpass. This ramp will also connect to the proposed Delaware Avenue extension
- Construct a new on-ramp to I-95 northbound from Tacony Street and the Delaware Avenue extension;
- Replace the bridges that carry I-95 over Fraley, Carver, Comly and Van Kirk streets;
- Reconstruct Tacony Street from Kennedy Street to north of Carver Street; and
- Install a new traffic signal at the intersection of Tacony and Carver Streets.
I-95/BS2 Section BS2
will rebuild I-95 northbound and southbound from just north of Margaret Street to Kennedy Street. A significant aspect of this project is the replacement of the viaduct that carries I-95 over Tacony Street and Bridge Street. Preliminary Engineering for this section finished in November 2011 and Final Design began in fall 2013, with construction anticipated to start in early 2021. I-95/BS2 Details
This phase covers I-95 reconstruction from just north of Margaret Street to Kennedy Street, and reconstruction of the northbound I-95 on-ramp at the Bridge Street interchange, including work to:
- Reconstruct northbound and southbound I-95 (four lanes in each direction) from just north of Margaret Street to Kennedy Street. This includes the replacement of the viaduct that carries I-95 over Tacony and Bridge streets;
- Reconstruct the Bridge Street northbound on-ramp and replace the ramp bridge over Tacony and Bridge streets;
- Reconstruct Tacony Street from Buckius to Kennedy streets; and
- Modify the traffic signals at Bridge and Tacony streets, and at Bridge and James streets..
I-95/BS3 Section BS3
includes reconstruction of Aramingo Avenue from Church Street to Tacony Street, and then continuing north on Harbison Avenue up to the Amtrak overpass. Preliminary Engineering for this section finished in November 2011 and Final Design will begin in 2016, with construction anticipated to start in late 2028. I-95/BS3 Details
This phase includes reconstruction of Aramingo Avenue from Duncan to Tacony streets, including a multi-use side path from Duncan to Margaret Streets, and reconstruction of Harbison Avenue from Tacony Street to the Amtrak overpass, including traffic signal modifications at:
- Aramingo Avenue at Orthodox Street;
- Aramingo Avenue at Margaret Street;
- Aramingo/Harbison Avenues at Tacony Street; and
- Harbison Avenue at Tacony Street/Wakeling Street
I-95/BS4 Section BS4
includes the remaining work to complete the reconstruction of the interchange ramps west of Aramingo Avenue. Section BS4 will complete and open the ramps connecting Aramingo Avenue to and from the Betsy Ross Bridge. It also includes the reconstruction of Aramingo Avenue from Wheatsheaf Lane to Church Street, the construction of the first section of the Adams Avenue Connector, and the construction of the first section of the Frankford Creek Greenway. Construction started in early 2017.
Aramingo Avenue between Church Street and Wheatsheaf Lane before and after BS4 construction I-95/BS4 Details
- Reconstruct and widen Aramingo Avenue from Wheatsheaf Lane to Church Street
- Reconstruct and connect the ramps from Aramingo Avenue to and from the Betsy Ross Bridge
- Construct the eastern half of the Adams Avenue Connector
- Construct a section of the Frankford Creek Greenway
I-95/BS5 Section BS5
is for the extension of Delaware Avenue from Buckius Street to Tacony Street in the vicinity of the Arsenal Business Center and the Dietz & Watson facility. Preliminary Engineering for this section began in 2016. Construction is anticipated to start in early 2020. I-95/BS5 Details
The City of Philadelphia is currently planning the extension of Delaware Avenue from Orthodox Street to Buckius Street. It is then proposed that PennDOT will extend Delaware Avenue further north along the waterfront, cross Old Frankford Creek on a new bridge, and then turn westerly to intersect Tacony Street. Included will be the multi-use side path along the Delaware River with connections to Bridesburg, the Frankford Boat Launch and the Kensington and Tacony Trail to the north. Updated 02/17